Friday, October 19, 2007

What happened to my happy girl?

What happened you ask? 2 words: The dreaded words that almost all mothers fear. The task so daunting that many avoid. The end result so anticipated that the pressure is great on the process itself. Potty Training. Oh yes, for some, there are success stories- tales of quick learning, lack of frustration and happiness for all. Oh and for others of us, there are tears from mother and child, frustration so great that diapers sound FUN, and fear over what to do next. THAT my friends is where I am today. Let's be honest- First, my little one is on the young side to be doing this....but I am not a patient person and I have unusually high expectations and unrealistic goals. AND I also have a child who is an incredible communicator, a quick learner and EXTREMELY independent. So, I had it in my head that potty training would be easy- quick- and dare I say it, fun?!
We are on fall break this week- no Bible Study Wednesday, no school Thursday and a slow weekend at home SO the perfect time to knock this out. Ha, Ha, Ha. I took Avery to Wal-Mart, I bought the treats, the panties and I built the excitement. My kid was READY to learn- she told me! Wednesday arrived and with great anxiety AND excitement we got started. I followed what the books said...we let our baby take a drink, we put our baby on the potty- I even put some water on the potty so it looked like "baby Jaycee" did her thing. Avery was ready...in her big girl panties...we sat on the potty, and we sat, and we sat, and we sat. We got up. We had an accident. FINE. NO BIG DEAL. TO BE EXPECTED. 2 hours later we repeated the above. FINE. NO BIG DEAL. TO BE EXPECTED. At nap time we HAD OUR FIRST SUCCESS in the potty- YEAH!!!! A few tears shed on Avery's part but this is new, so that's okay, right? We are both WORN OUT and ready for naps and we get them. I am ready to go again and I think she is too. Wrong. NOTHING.....until 8:30 Wed. night. yes, she held it from the time she woke up until she could hold it no longer. And then she was VERY emotional and scared about putting her "pee pee" in the potty. Ahh but Day 1 is complete and tomorrow will be better. WRONG AGAIN. Thursday Avery gets up with a wet diaper at 7 in the morning, and does not do one thing in her potty until 11:30! That's a long time and again VERY emotional and fearful when she does potty. The rest of Thursday goes much the same...an accident, a success with many many tears. I'm about ready to give up.

Today is Friday. I put my game face on- a smile, happy eyes and a peppy voice- let's do it again. Today Avery doesn't want to get off of the potty. My guess? Fear of an accident. I cried. I'm ready to quit. Brett offers to come home at lunch and take over for a little while. My mom calls and my aunt gives me the keep going pep talk. I'm tired. I'm frustrated. I want to quit. Avery FINALLY has a success at 11:30...again an emotional one but at least she's happy when its over. THEN MY FRIENDS I GOT TO LEAVE MY HOUSE! I put Avery in a pull up and we took a much needed outing to Wal-Mart. Woo hoo! We walked in and Avery says, "Mommy I need to go potty." I'm thinking you just went there's no way but I don't argue. We rush to the Wal Mart restroom and IT HAPPENED! A real live, Avery initiated, unemotional pee pee on the potty. A small thing, you say? A one time coincidence. Maybe BUT..it is keeping potty training alive at the Krieg house. Believe it or not, its answered prayer. Avery received not 1, but TWO rides on the Wal Mart Fun Carousel and not one but 2 rides on the Wal Mart horsey.

So...my potty training experts out there. What next? HOW do I keep her from being so scared? HOW do I get her to JUST RELAX about this? And WILL continuing cause her to fear this potty business or will she get it if I just stick it out. I am open to advice....seriously. We've had one success that will keep us going but I need a plan to stick this out for the long term. Please pray for us..... and have a happy weekend :-)

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh my goodness...I am not ready for this. :) No advice, just wanted you to know I'd be praying for you all. When the dreaded day comes, I'll be looking to YOU for advice! Good luck!!

S, J, B, & S said...

Let's go Avery, let's go! (clap, clap) I have no advice for you friend, but it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of potty-training! I DO NOT look forward to this (esp. since it's apparently harder to train boys), but hopefully you will have lots of advice for me when the time comes. :) Maybe I should say ... Let's go Ashley, let's go!

Julie said...

I feel your pain! We were unsuccessful until Kennedy decided it was time. Everyone kept telling me she would wake up one day and be ready and she was! She was older than Avery when she finally decided it was time it but we had many days/weeks like yours up until then. I thought for sure that she was still going to be in diapers when she got to kindergarten. ;-)

The Christiansons said...

Oh girl, good luck! Can I admit I am totally dreading this stage?! Take notes and pass them along! You'll be my "go-to" girl! Talk to you soon!