Monday, April 7, 2008

Bittersweet

We did it the way most do....we got married, got a house...and then got a dog. And not just any dog but an expensive purebred dog that we had to drive to the middle of no where Kansas to pick her up. Hayley became a part of our family about a year into its inception. Some, including my husband, tried to warn me that I would regret this decision- the decision to get a dog that is...but I wouldn't listen. I insisted that I would love her forever and care for her like a child. Let's be honest- sadly, that didn't last very long and once Avery was born and Brett started traveling, I lost ALL patience with her...and since Anna's arrival, well all I can say is poor Hayley. She is a crazy dog but oh my goodness she is sweet too. She just wants some attention and some love, is that too much to ask for, really? So it is with mixed emotions that we have said our goodbyes to Hayley. Brett has struggled the most with this decision believe it or not but even he knew it was time...
My parents came upon a family in Bentonville who had a male wheaten and they were interested in adding another wheatie to their family. When my parents told them about Hayley they were excited to meet her and once they met her- they fell in love. Actually their daughter, a recent college grad, will be officially adopting Hayley and together they will move into a new home this summer. I am sad that I couldn't do a better job of taking care of her and the rest of my family and I feel GUILTY but I just couldn't. She was the last on my list of things to do and that list just keeps getting longer. I know that SHE is SO much better off now...in fact the family emailed me yesterday wanting Hayley's bday so they could celebrate with her- not something I would've EVER done, I didn't even know when her bday was until I searched through some paperwork! In their words, Hayley is a "gem"...not the word I had used of late to describe her.
So farewell to our sweet puppy and sincerely THANKS for the fun memories :-) (Jill..please try not to be too upset and I'm so sorry I didn't give you a chance to say a proper goodbye)

4 comments:

Jill White said...

Yea!!! Yippee!! I'm so excited!
(Does my love for dogs show thru at all? haha)

I truly am glad you found a great place for Haley to be - but more glad that you have 1 less responsibility :)

Meredith said...

I know it was so sad to do that, but I bet it will really relieve some headaches! :) Loved the announcement and the sweet picture of Anna! I think she really looks like Avery in it! (but I remember Avery having dark hair as a newborn, and it looks like Anna's is already blond!)

Leslie said...

OMG!!!!! I can't believe you did it. You for sure, 100% did the right thing. Sasha's time will end in 5 months, even Brian knows it's true.
Glad she is at a new home where she is finally getting the attention she wants. I think it's much harder to get rid of your pet than keep it when no one is happy about it.
Can you tell I'm on my soapbox?!?!

Brooke said...

I do have to say that I am a little sad we didn't get to say goodbye to Hayley. Crazy, sweet Hayley. I know you are so super thrilled though! And now you are 4!